We all can feel sad and lonely at times; it’s very normal to feel these things. However, when these feelings become too overwhelming, then it may lead to depression. Depression is pretty common nowadays and has affected many people in different ways. Even celebrities have experiences with depression which basically means that even if you are wealthy, you still have chances of getting depressed. If left untreated, the symptoms can get worse and may interfere with your daily activities. In some cases, a person dealing with depression for too long can start thinking of suicide.
5 Most Common Signs Of Depression
- The most common symptom of depression is when one feels helpless or even worthless. They are surrounded by negative thoughts that make them feel that they can’t do anything right and that they are a burden to their family or work.
- Loss of interest in daily activities or not being able to perform well is another symptom that they might be depressed. It’s pretty common for those suffering from depression to lose their interest, because they are constantly thinking of the negative thoughts that are contributing to their depression.
- Most men that are suffering from depression can be easily angered or irritated, and can sometimes lead to reckless behavior. A simple joke or act can trigger their anger and may lead to them becoming violent enough to inflict physical injuries.
- Another common symptom is when a person experiences loss of appetite or has sudden weight changes. They are too overwhelmed by the negative thoughts or feelings that they are keeping in, which also lead to them neglecting their own personal needs.
- As they neglect their own personal needs, they will also no longer be sociable or will always prefer to be alone. They will rather sit in a corner and think than have friends come over or go to social events.
How Can Counselors Help With Depression?
Talk therapy is one of the most common forms of therapies used by counselors. It helps those with depression to cope with their feelings or problems that are contributing to their symptoms. Talk therapy allows you to talk about your problems and find solutions that can help you deal with the problem. Some therapists even ask you to write down everything you’ve done throughout the day, including your mood.
However, most therapies prefer to approach you directly and focus on your current thoughts. It’s ok to think about the past only to figure out why you are depressed. But, when dealing with the current situation, the therapist can help you find ways to deal with your situation now and how you can for the future.
If you have a friend or relative that is currently showing any of these signs, then don’t hesitate to seek expert help. It’s always good to be a step ahead and be able to treat depression before it builds up and becomes worse. If you have a friend or relative that is currently showing any of these signs, then don’t hesitate to seek expert help. It’s always good to be a step ahead and be able to treat depression before it builds up and becomes worse.